Software Engineer/SETI Lidar Test Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
In this Software engineering role, you'll:
- Design and implement novel automated manufacturing/test/calibration stations for cutting edge automotive LIDAR hardware
- Write software to control optical, mechanical, and electronic peripherals
- Develop algorithms to analyze and optimize unit performance
- Instrument LIDAR drivers to support testing and calibration needs
- Aggregate and analyze manufacturing data to improve LIDAR design and to mature test stations from prototype stage to high volume readiness
- Support LIDAR manufacturing by implementing infrastructure to improve test integration, assembly tracking, and reporting pipelines
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- At least 3 years of C++ and/or Python programming experience
- Proficient in data analysis and visualization techniques
- Experience interfacing with industrial sensors, actuators, and lab equipment
- Curiosity and willingness to learn about LIDAR technology
It’s preferred if you have:
- Understanding of basic statistical analysis, particularly in the context of manufacturing engineering
- Familiarity with image processing (eg using OpenCV)
- Experience working with industrial manufacturing stations
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.