Software Engineer, Machine Learning Infrastructure (Onboard Execution)
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Machine Learning Infrastructure team at Waymo builds the industrial scale machine learning platform used by ML practitioners developing software for our self-driving car. We provide essential tools and frameworks to support the entire lifecycle of machine learning at Waymo, from data processing, large scale training and evaluation frameworks to efficient neural net inference runtimes for onboard execution and simulation. We work hand in hand with machine learning experts in all parts of the company including perception, behavior prediction, planning, mapping, hardware, and simulation.
We are looking for talented engineers for our Machine Learning Infrastructure/Onboard group. In this group you will work on:
- Fast execution of neural nets on specialized hardware used in the car and at scale for simulation in data centers
- Optimization of everything "around the nets" (e.g. exploiting sparsity, compression and low precision inference, AutoML etc. ) to speed up onboard systems
- Performance analysis and optimization through hardware/software co-play and driving directions for future hardware/software solutions
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Passion in making things run fast
- Experience programming in Python or C++.
- Elementary Tensorflow and Machine Learning knowledge
Bonus qualifications in one of the following, depending on the project:
- Previous work on neural net or scientific computation optimization
- Graph rewrite algorithms or compiler background
- CUDA or AI accelerators programming
- CPU/GPU/ASIC or system performance modeling/optimization
- Experience in embedded and/or real time systems
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.