Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
ML Platform team at Waymo provides a set of tools and technologies to support and automate the lifecycle of the machine learning workflow, including feature and experiment management, and model development, debugging & evaluation, deployment, and monitoring. These efforts have resulted in making machine learning more accessible to teams at Waymo, including Perception, Behavior Prediction, Planner, Routing, Maps and Research, ensuring greater degrees of consistency and repeatability, and addressing the “last mile” of getting models into production and managing them once they are in place. We work hand in hand with machine learning experts in all parts of the company as well as our collaborators across Alphabet.
We are looking for engineers with a variety of backgrounds and are passionate about enabling ML to join our team. Non-exhaustive examples of the types of work in the ML Platform team:
- Feature engineering infra
- Develop and maintain a set of frameworks, APIs and tools on top of Tensorflow that enable a fast research to production lifecycle
- Provide tooling to help ML practitioners evaluate, debug, and improve ML algorithms, data and hyperparameters
- Web app for managing data lineage, experiment / metadata / artifacts, visualizing metrics (P/R, custom metrics etc.) and data distribution
- Collaborate with other Bets to productionize ML research (e.g. PBT, AutoML, Model/Data understanding, compression)
- Apply software engineering rigor on ML (CI/CD, automation etc.)
- Optimize everything around the nets (pruning, quantization etc.) and robotics system performance analysis / optimization through hardware/software co-play
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Passion in making things run fast
- Experience programming in Python or C++.
- Elementary Tensorflow and Machine Learning knowledge
Bonus qualifications in one of the following, depending on the project:
- Experience building and architecting large-scale, production quality backend systems, especially in applied machine learning or data pipeline
- Familiar with TensorFlow
- Familiar with parallel / distributed systems
- Experience with embedded / real time / robotics systems, and performance optimizations
- Experience with machine learning compiler / runtime or GPU/AI accelerator
- Experience/interest with ML acceleration ( compression, quantization, pruning etc.)
- Experience with metrics and evaluation for large systems
- SRE/Devops and passionate about applying software engineering best practices to ML
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.