Electrical Systems Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Electrical Systems Engineering Role you'll:
- Manage vendor based electronics and software development efforts from concept and requirements definition, bring-up, issue tracking and integration to production launch.
- Manage system level as well as component level performance characteristics and requirements.
- Derive and coordinate necessary system characterization tests for the cleaning system as well as coordinate with adjacent sensor teams on the characterization of the system performance and performance requirements for individual sensors.
- Bridging among domains (mechanical, electrical, software) and component engineering teams to minimize complexity, cost, mass, power, and optimize performance, capability, and scalability of the system and the product.
- Helping define requirements and interfaces among subsystems and components through design and execution of tests, experiments, and workstreams to gather key pieces of data or knowledge.
- Translating to and from big picture and small picture, representing system level needs at component level and vice a versa.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 4+ years of developing/integrating automotive electronics from prototype to mass production
- High level understanding of various systems needed to make a self driving vehicle (sensors, compute, wiring, chassis communication, controls, etc.)
- Familiar with automotive electronics hardware & software development processes as well as common norms and standards (AUTOSAR, ASPICE, APQP/PPAP, ISO26262)
- Can interact with both technical and nontechnical teams to solve technical as well as project management problems
- BS or MS in EE/ME/SWE/Automotive Engineering or related field, or sufficient practical work experience
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.