Systems Engineer, Electrical Embedded
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this Systems Engineer, Electrical Embedded role, you'll:
- Define vehicle electrical system requirements and system architecture to meet functionality, safety, and reliability objectives
- Craft and execute Verification and Validation test plans for these requirements
- Lead trade studies to help drive decisions and balance competing requirements. This involves a mix of multi-disciplinary problem solving, detailed analysis and testing, and close collaboration with domain experts and other stakeholders
- Work with hardware engineers to balance functional objectives, cost, reliability, and other attributes for vehicle electrical systems
- Collaborate with software engineers to implement and validate fault monitoring on electrical systems
- Create and guide execution a vehicle system test program that will evaluate the final performance of the vehicle functions and attributes and measure it against the defined requirements. You will plan and execute tests, analyze test data, analyze field issues, and understand and resolve defects, leveraging the operations team where possible
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or similar
- Data analysis with Python, Matlab, or similar. Working knowledge of C++ and embedded systems programming
It’s preferred if you have:
- Circuit analysis fundamentals, with knowledge of power conversion, power distribution, and electromagnetic compatibility
- Automotive or aerospace experience with power systems (batteries, power conversion, distribution) and communications buses (CAN, FlexRay, Ethernet)
- Fault tolerant and fault-operable system design
- Experience working with automotive OEM evaluation processes and facilities with an understanding of a typical automotive development process including major milestones & deliverables
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.