Mechanical Engineer Compute
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Mechanical Engineer Compute role, you'll:
- Develop mechanical design and solutions for the compute system in Waymo’s self-driving cars.
- Work on full product design life cycle, including requirements gathering, concept generation, detailed design with analysis, verification testing, cross-functional reviews, and manufacturing release.
- Develop and execute designs for complex systems, supported by thorough engineering analysis, including thermal and FEA simulations.
- Deliver robust solutions for interconnect systems, such as mating of high density interconnects.
- Influence and shape future products by providing mechanical engineering insight into the technology roadmap.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BA/BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent practical experience
- 5 years of experience in design and analysis of electronics packaging
It’s preferred if you have:
- MS in Mechanical Engineering
- 10 years of mechanical design and analysis experience
- Excellent working knowledge of mechanical engineering and design principles in electronics and/or automotive applications
- Expertise with NPI, medium-scale, and high-volume production
- Expertise around sheet metal, injection molding, casting, electrical interconnect systems, heat extraction, and vibration control
- Extensive experience in designing complex electro-mechanical assemblies with an expert understanding of mechanical tolerances and ability to perform detailed tolerance loop analysis
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.