Counsel, Safety & Cybersecurity
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
At Waymo Legal, you will work on the exciting legal issues surrounding our transformational autonomous vehicle technology and help drive our business lines forward from technology ideation through scaled commercial deployment. We partner with our public policy, safety, security and privacy experts to define transportation policy for the self-driving world to come, advising on regulatory changes that support and protect our users around the world. We collaborate with our engineering, product, strategy and operations teams to develop and protect our intellectual property portfolio and drive our corporate and commercial transactions. We ensure compliance with an increasingly complex and dynamic range of global regulations. And we anticipate, mitigate, and litigate high-profile and precedent-setting legal matters.
In this role, you'll:
- Support the development of Waymo’s self-driving technology as a legal advisor and subject matter expert on legal issues related to safety and risk management in the development of hardware and software, testing, and commercial application of our self-driving technology
- Work closely with and provide valued legal advice to the Operations, Safety, Product Management, and other teams across the company on issues related to the safe development of Waymo’s technology, including product liability and consumer law and evaluation of safety critical systems
- Respond to a wide-range of requests for legal advice from business and engineering units on novel legal issues related to autonomous vehicle technology and testing by building trust with stakeholders and delivering high-quality, understandable legal advice
- Partner with your IP, commercial, litigation, and other Legal Team colleagues to provide advice on various product counseling issues and lead projects related to long-term scalability of Waymo’s commercial autonomous vehicle business
- Think creatively, develop solutions, and bring industry experience and research to bear in addressing and effectively managing legal risk while training and collaborating with teams across Waymo
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A JD Degree
- Active and good standing in at least one State Bar in the United States
- 7+ years of relevant law firm, government, or in-house experience practicing law, including at least 4+ years at a law firm; some litigation experience preferred
- 3+ years of experience advising on or litigating complex product issues related to safety or liability, product development, or operational management
- Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure
- Experience with self-driving cars, emerging technology development, and/or software development
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.