Intern, Policy and Regulatory Affairs
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team has a front seat in this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous vehicles, transportation, and tech policy. Successful navigation of this policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the national, state, and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of this technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, and partnerships teams, and we work closely with highly-skilled legal and safety experts.
Waymo is looking for a Policy and Government Affairs Intern. Reporting to the Waymo’s head of Policy Development and Regulatory Affairs, you will work broadly across the business to support Waymo’s regulatory affairs strategy, advocacy, and outreach efforts.
In this internship, you'll:
- Work with the Policy team supporting several key federal, state, and local regulatory affairs projects for the duration of the internship
- Cover internal meetings, events, visits, and prepare key briefing materials
- Conduct research and provide recommendations on key public policy areas linked to the testing and deployment of self-driving technology, including safety and mobility
- Work from Mountain View-based with <10% travel
- Internship duration: Start dates (5/20, 6/3, or 6/17) and end dates (8/19, 9/9, or 9/23)
- Take the lead on other trending policy initiative(s) on the team, collaborating with other Waymo functions to advance the Policy team’s broader goals
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Prior experience involving policy advocacy or research.
- Strong writing and editing skills: candidates should be able to communicate ideas clearly and concisely, for both public audiences and internal ones.
- Strong organizational skills: candidates should have the ability to prioritize work and manage time on multiple projects and tasks to meet deadlines, across a variety of internal teams.
- Curiosity, eagerness, and ability to develop new knowledge and skills.
- Organized and resourceful, with strong attention to detail.
- Candidates should be in the final semester or have recently concluded either their undergraduate or graduate studies.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Prior experience involving policy internships, part-time, or full-time employment.
- Prior experience with both regulatory affairs and policy development work.
- Prior experience involving the technology and / or transportation sectors.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.