Robotics Software Engineer, Behavior Prediction
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
In this planner and controls role, you’ll:
- Build motion planning and decision-making systems for the self-driving vehicles, ensuring that the behavior of our vehicles is safe, smooth, and predictable to other road users
- Build robust solutions to cutting-edge driving problems
- Improve how our vehicles act and react in complex and nuanced situations
- Grow a fundamental understanding of the next driving challenges by analyzing real-world logs collected on our state-of-the-art fleet
We’d like you to have:
- MS/PHD in Computer Science, Robotics, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in at least one of: robotics research in motion planning and control (e.g., trajectory optimization, planning under uncertainty, probabilistic robotics, optimal control, guidance, navigation and control, etc.), data analysis at scale, machine learning at scale
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- Experience programming in C++ and with robust, safety-critical, efficient code
- Experience solving software problems using geometry and linear algebra
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.