Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
In this planner and controls role, you’ll:
- Build motion planning and decision-making systems for the self-driving vehicles, ensuring that the behavior of our vehicles is safe, smooth, and predictable to other road users
- Build robust solutions to cutting-edge driving problems
- Improve how our vehicles act and react in complex and nuanced situations
- Grow a fundamental understanding of the next driving challenges by analyzing real-world logs collected on our state-of-the-art fleet
We’d like you to have:
- MS/PHD in Computer Science, Robotics, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in at least one of: robotics research in motion planning and control (e.g., trajectory optimization, planning under uncertainty, probabilistic robotics, optimal control, guidance, navigation and control, etc.), data analysis at scale, machine learning at scale
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- Experience programming in C++ and with robust, safety-critical, efficient code
- Experience solving software problems using geometry and linear algebra
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.