Systems Engineer, Fault Protection
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Influence architecture, drive discussions and lead trade studies, focusing on safety and fault tolerance
- Contribute to hardware and/or software design reviews
- Develop detailed and verifiable requirements for fault tolerance and system fault responses, based on highlevel safety requirements
- Collaborate with hardware, software and systems engineers to identify necessary fault monitors across the system and define the appropriate system fallback and local responses Perform detailed analysis to evaluate system performance against product quality and safety goals
- Dive deep into complex subsystem interactions inthe autonomy software to determine overall system robustness to transient faults
- Develop and execute verification and validation plans to demonstrate that the fault protection strategy has been implemented correctly and effectively
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace or other relevant technical area
- 10+ years of experience, including a background in aerospace, robotics and/or automotive industries, with depth of experience in at least one technical area (e.g. motion control, software, sensing, etc.)
- Strong systems engineering fundamentals across the full product lifecycle, from system architecture through transition into operations, especially for complex systems with safety-critical hardware and software components
It’s preferred if you have:
- Strong test planning, execution, troubleshooting and data analysis skills, at the sub-system and full system level
- Proven ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and lead others to solve technical problems even when you don’t manage them directly
- Experience with FMEAs, hazard analysis, fault trees and/or branch termination analysis
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.