Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Influence architecture, drive discussions and lead trade studies, focusing on safety and fault tolerance
- Contribute to hardware and/or software design reviews
- Develop detailed and verifiable requirements for fault tolerance and system fault responses, based on highlevel safety requirements
- Collaborate with hardware, software and systems engineers to identify necessary fault monitors across the system and define the appropriate system fallback and local responses Perform detailed analysis to evaluate system performance against product quality and safety goals
- Dive deep into complex subsystem interactions inthe autonomy software to determine overall system robustness to transient faults
- Develop and execute verification and validation plans to demonstrate that the fault protection strategy has been implemented correctly and effectively
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace or other relevant technical area
- 10+ years of experience, including a background in aerospace, robotics and/or automotive industries, with depth of experience in at least one technical area (e.g. motion control, software, sensing, etc.)
- Strong systems engineering fundamentals across the full product lifecycle, from system architecture through transition into operations, especially for complex systems with safety-critical hardware and software components
It’s preferred if you have:
- Strong test planning, execution, troubleshooting and data analysis skills, at the sub-system and full system level
- Proven ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and lead others to solve technical problems even when you don’t manage them directly
- Experience with FMEAs, hazard analysis, fault trees and/or branch termination analysis
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.