Failure Analysis Lead
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Hardware Engineering role, you'll:
- Lead all failure analysis activities, providing an expert opinion on the root cause of each failure analysis project, making proposals for the best path forward, and documenting findings in detailed failure analysis reports
- Develop an in-house failure analysis organization and failure analysis laboratory that meets the growing needs of Waymo
- Lead all materials development and testing activities, helping the design organization select and validate the optimal materials, adhesives, and coatings needed for our applications
- Hire, manage, and mentor failure analysis engineers and technicians
- Drive priorities of failure analysis projects, managing the various projects as a project portfolio in order to optimize the value for Waymo
- Lead executive reviews related to critical failure analysis findings and recommendations
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Understanding of fundamental failure mechanism theories
- Experience identifying root cause in complex electro- and opto-mechanical systems, including failure of the optics, coatings, substrate materials, electronics, and mechanisms (bearings, gears, linkages, etc.)
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with all relevant failure analysis techniques:
- Sample prep techniques
- Non-invasive testing techniques
- Invasive testing techniques
- Electrical testing and characterization techniques
It’s preferred if you have:
- Exceptional management skills, with proven ability to attract and retain engineering talent
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.