Director of System Safety Engineering and Safety Research
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving vehicles. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout design and is being integrated into our technology. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps to ensure Waymo is complying with applicable safety regulations.
In this Director of System Safety Engineering and Safety Research role, you’ll:
- Direct the System Safety Engineering and Safety Research teams
- Manage Hazard Analysis and other safety analysis processes, that are performed in close coordination with other Waymo engineering teams
- Provide safety expertise in the area of collision data analysis, collision causation, injury severity assessments, and naturalistic driving data research and analysis
- Conduct targeted safety research to support safety evaluations and strategic initiatives
- Represent the crash-related safety issues within Waymo to other senior personnel and with external technical and policy stakeholders
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Significant experience in managing technical high-performing engineering teams and a demonstrated ability to lead engineers in complex analyses and evaluations related identifying and mitigation potential hazards
- 15+ years of experience in Engineering Safety and Risk Management
- Knowledge and experience in working with regulations and associated processes to ensure proper compliance and controls are in place
- History of excelling in the development, analysis and use of data to drive effective decision-making
- Ability to create a strategic vision and develop a plan for its implementation
- BA/BS degree with a strong academic record, along with strong communication skills (oral and written)
It’s preferred if you have:
- Advanced (MS, PhD) engineering degree
- Previous experience working in an engineering role with deep technical responsibilities
- Extensive knowledge about the automotive and autonomous vehicle industry, along with associated regulatory activities
- A passion for Waymo’s autonomous vehicle vision
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.