Data Scientist: Hardware Analytics
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Data Scientist role, you'll:
- Build analysis pipelines iteratively to provide insights at scale. Use data available from millions of miles of driving to detect anomalies, forecast hardware degradation and explain root cause of hardware failures.
- Define and evaluate key hardware performance metrics and understand what moves them and why.
- Work with large, complex data sets. Solve difficult, non-routine analysis problems, applying advanced analytical methods as needed. Conduct end-to-end analysis that includes data gathering and requirements specification, processing, analysis, ongoing deliverables, and presentations.
- Build data tools and visualizations to enable engineers make better decisions using available data.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to cross functional partners. Work closely with engineers to identify opportunities for making Waymo self-driving hardware stack more reliable.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- MS degree in a quantitative discipline
- 5 years of relevant work experience in an analytics role or a related field.
- Programming experience with Python or R. Proficient in SQL.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
It’s preferred if you have:
- PhD degree in a quantitative discipline.
- Strong background in predictive modeling and statistical analysis. Experience with large data datasets preferred.
- Experience developing web applications and interactive visualizations.
- Experience articulating business questions and translating analysis results into actionable recommendations.
- Experience with C++ (or a willingness to learn)
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.