System Safety Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving vehicles. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout design and is being integrated into our technology. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps to ensure Waymo is complying with applicable safety regulations.
In this System Safety Engineer role, you'll:
- Conduct hazard analyses to help determine safety requirements and inform architecture and design
- Work closely with engineering teams to develop and track hazard mitigations and verification
- Participate in design reviews and discussions to help ensure that safety goals and requirements are being effectively addressed
- Support the Waymo Safety Team to oversee the program safety readiness process and metrics
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the robustness of Waymo’s safety program
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical degree
- 3+ years (for a Junior role) or 10+ years (for a Senior role) of relevant engineering work experience that includes some system safety engineering
- Experience in performing hazard analyses (e.g. Preliminary Hazard Analysis, Subsystem Hazard Analyses, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, System-theoretic Process Analysis, etc.)
- Hands-on experience in software development, software safety, and/or software verification and validation
It is preferred that you have:
- An advanced degree in engineering or related technical fields
- Expertise in safety analysis for autonomous vehicles, automotive, or embedded systems
- Experience in evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.