Privacy & Product Counsel
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
At Waymo Legal, you will work on the exciting legal issues surrounding our transformational autonomous vehicle technology and help drive our business lines forward from technology ideation through scaled commercial deployment. We partner with our public policy, safety, security and privacy experts to define transportation policy for the self-driving world to come, advising on regulatory changes that support and protect our users around the world. We collaborate with our engineering, product, strategy and operations teams to develop and protect our intellectual property portfolio and drive our corporate and commercial transactions. We ensure compliance with an increasingly complex and dynamic range of global regulations. And we anticipate, mitigate, and litigate high-profile and precedent-setting legal matters.
In this role, you'll:
- Provide privacy specialist legal advice and subject matter resources required to support Waymo Legal team, as well as other Alphabet and Google privacy legal teams
- Advise on compliance across all aspects of US and global privacy law and regulation, including data protection, data retention, data security, and data breach rules
- Provide specialist consultation and support to other key functions (Product, Public Policy, Marketing, Communications, and Engineering)
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- JD degree or equivalent practical experience
- 8+ years of relevant experience as a practicing attorney
- Must be admitted to the bar in which the role is located in and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g., have registered in-house status) in the state in which the role is located
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience advising clients on regulated industries, such as automobile, health care, or fintech
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a broad range of legal matters
- Demonstrated ability to complete several simultaneous projects on a deadline
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a commitment to professionalism and collegiality
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.