Director of Safety Operations, Health and Environment
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving vehicles. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout the design and development of our vehicles. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps to ensure Waymo is complying with applicable safety regulations.
In this Director of Safety Operations, Health and Environment role, you’ll:
- Build the capability for Waymo to be recognized as the best in the AV industry in protecting people and the planet
- Lead the creation of the first Safety Management System in the AV sector
- Create the standard for people safety at Waymo; in the workplace, in our testing programs in closed track environments, and in test driver operations on public roads
- Oversee the safety of Waymo facilities including laboratories for vehicle hardware and building and testing lasers, garages, test tracks and our closed course test environment
- Bring industry-leading environmental practices to Waymo
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- 20 years experience in safety-related field
- BA/BS with a technical degree
- Operations experience in the transportation sector
- Experience implementing a Safety Management System
It’s preferred if you have:
- Advanced degree in a safety or technical field
- Leadership experience in a public company
- Transportation experience
- Regulatory, investigative knowledge
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.