Commercial Vehicle Architect
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Commercial Vehicle Architect role, you'll:
- Make complicated trades on system and sensor layout, electrical architecture and topology, and base vehicle systems based on data, background knowledge, and when necessary, engineering intuition.
- Work with various Waymo and external teams to design and integrate the necessary self driving system components onto a class 8 truck for L4/5 operations
- Work with the systems engineering team as well as external Tier1 and OEM partners to advise on base chassis specifications and modifications to enable L4/5 operations
- Help coordinate and debug bring-up of prototype vehicles with integrated SDS and base chassis modifications
- Bridging among domains (mechanical, electrical, software) and component engineering teams to minimize complexity, cost, mass, power, and optimize performance, capability, and scalability of the system and the product.
We'd like you to have:
- 3+ years in commercial vehicle industry working on ADAS or AV technology
- BS, MS, or PHD in ME/EE or related field
It's preferred if you have:
- High level understanding of various state of the art systems needed to make a self driving vehicle (sensors, compute, wiring, chassis communication, controls, etc)
- Familiar with mechanical and electrical components of modern commercial vehicle actuation and control systems and deep knowledge in at least one of the following areas: braking systems, steering systems, powertrain systems, stability and control systems, body controls
- Experience designing or testing electromechanical & software systems, particularly automotive, aerospace systems, or other safety critical systems
- Exposure to / familiarity with functional and systems safety standards and practices like ISO 26262, IEC 61508, etc.
- Strong hands-on experience working with and debugging complex systems of hardware and software
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.