Product Manager, Driverless Scaling
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this product manager role you'll:
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Define the roadmap for territory expansion
- Execute the end-to-end process, including building the playbook and partnering with operations, mapping, engineering and data science to collect data and develop a deep understanding of the target areas
- Figure out how to make this scalable. In the early days, we will be analyzing each territory manually in a high degree of depth. However, over time, this needs to become highly automated, with the capability of understanding many cities/neighborhoods in parallel. This will involve defining organization structures and processes that support rapid growth
- Know the small details. Waymo is a safety-critical system, and this PM will create a framework that can have safety-related consequences. It’s essential that the PM is willing to dig deep to understand the sources of risk and build our systems with this as the north star
- Ability and interest to go broad. This role will involve a highly diverse set of tasks, including business/market analysis, operations and process design, and deep technical understanding of the self-driving system
- This project needs to be very data driven, and will require willingness to dig into data at a deep level and in detail to understand new territories
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 1+ year of experience in product management
- Strategy and analytical skills. Ability to gather and analyze large quantities of information, and turn them into a thoughtful and compelling product vision, including economics/business plan
- Good at problem stating and problem solving, and turning ambiguous problem spaces into radical solutions
- Flourish in ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a very fast-changing environment
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen
It’s preferred if you have:
- Master's degree in a technical or engineering field or MBA or equivalent practical experience (e.g. management consulting)
- Working knowledge of statistics and analysis tools (SQL/dremel, python)
- Experience w/ operational processes
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.