Optical Test & Development Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
This position is on the LiDAR technology team where you will be responsible for developing optical characterization and test systems across the product lifecycle. This is a highly technical role involving laser-based optical systems, optical devices, data analysis, hands-on prototyping, supplier development, and NPI. The ideal candidate will have strong background in optical physics, lasers, detectors, and experimentation. This position offers a good deal of responsibility and the opportunity to contribute to high visibility projects for hardware development.
In this hardware engineering role, you'll:
- Develop and test high performance LiDAR systems
- Test and analyze optical subsystems to evaluate performance
- Design and execute LiDAR field measurements and structured tests
- Develop specifications for optical and laser components and work with external suppliers to bring them into production
- Work closely with mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, manufacturing engineers, reliability engineers and supply chain to develop robust, high performance, affordable systems
- Investigate future technologies and architectures
- Travel internationally to vendor facilities as required
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- MS or Ph.D. in Optics, Physics, EE, or a closely related field and 2+ years of experience
- Hands-on experience testing electro-optical components and systems
- Experience with laser and detector technologies
- Track record of innovation and solving challenging problems
- Working knowledge of Matlab or Python for data collection and analysis
- Excellent technical communication skills
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience with LiDAR systems
- A history of product development for high-volume applications (e.g. automotive)
- A background in optical systems engineering spanning performance budgeting, modeling, and system test and validation
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.