Vehicle Systems Engineer - Electrical Systems
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, work with the design teams to design systems that meet those standards, then design and perform the tests that validate their performance.
In this Vehicle Systems Engineer role, you'll:
- Vehicle platform communication networks - writing requirements on our OEM partners to setup network communication interface for SDS. Mostly they will be working on the network implementation layer with the OEMs once the Functional Systems Engineers (e.g. Power, Thermal, Body Controls, Motion Controls)
- Redundancy analysis of communications networks, which signals need be redundant and why, what their parameters need to be to satisfy performance requirements etc.
- Self-driving system-Ready SW Management across Waymo; including deriving a high level test plan relative to change points, management of the release process relative to Onboard SW, maintaining the vehicle prototype fleet SDS-Ready SW and associated diagnostics/debugging.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or similar
- At least 3 years experience in an automotive (or similar industry) electrical communication networks and software role delivering software and/or hardware
- Working knowledge of vehicle communication network systems (CAN, FlexRay, LIN, Ethernet, etc.)
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience in fail-safe and fail-tolerant system design
- Mindset and experience in mapping out design and requirements spaces for complex vehicles or systems with attention to detail to ensure gaps and flow-downs are fully covered
- A strong root-cause analysis mindset to problem solving.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.