Product Manager, Safety
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this product manager role you'll:
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Help drive the development of Waymo’s safety framework -- how we measure our progress, set the bar, and translate that into operational and engineering procedures
- Work with Safety Engineering team to implement safety programs, including interfacing with other PM and Systems / Software / Hardware Engineering teams to drive feature implementation
- Work with Safety and External Engagement to develop the strategy for participating in external forums, industry groups, and standards bodies
- A BA/BS degree in Computer Science, technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 2 years of experience in product management
- Strategic and analytical skills. Ability to gather and analyze large quantities of information, and turn them into a thoughtful and compelling product vision
- Good problem stating and problem solving skills and turn ambiguous problem spaces into radical solutions
- The ability to work in an ambiguous environment, set own goals and effectively deliver to them in a very fast-changing space
- Motivation to make the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen
It’s preferred if you have:
- Master's degree in a technical or engineering field or MBA or equivalent practical experience (e.g. management consulting)
- Working knowledge of statistics and analysis tools (SQL/dremel, python)
- Experience with legal or regulatory bodies
- Experience with safety critical systems
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.