Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
This individual will be responsible for supporting the design, dimensional definition, measurement concept and metrology of every released/engineered component across the Waymo product portfolio. This includes supporting the detail design work internal in the Waymo Self Driving System (SDS) Hardware (HW) and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) needed in the integration of this system to a given vehicle platform.
The candidate will support and educate engineers on how to properly specify the appropriate datum scheme, GD&T, Functional Measurement Concept Points and ensure suitable metrology of the actual parts.
In this Hardware Engineering role, you'll:
- Effectively consult with and communicate your knowledge of dimensional strategies, datum schemes, GD&T, Functional Measurement Concept points and Metrology to engineers involved in the design of Waymo’s hardware
- Ensure proper GD&T and Metrology principles are implemented in Waymo’s hardware platforms in accordance with state-of-the-art engineering, supply chain, manufacturing and quality assurance principles
- Take ownership of the CAD/Drawing Dimensional Methodology and be responsible for the implementation, upkeep and development of this methodology to support the Waymo Engineering teams needs
- Set up best practices to aide engineers in deciding on the best datum scheme and correct GD&T usage for a given design
- Perform/conduct/specify virtual variation analysis using first principles, hand calculations, CAD and CAE (3DCS)
- Define metrology methods and consult/advise on the findings, use these to drive correlation to virtual analysis. Where necessary take ownership/delivery responsibility of the required metrology
- Review engineering performance and report to engineering management on fundamental engineering issues and training recommendations
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- Minimum of Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant technical discipline. Preferred Master's degree
- Minimum 5 years experience in either: automotive, aerospace or hi-tech electro-mechanical design and development or suitable combination of these
- Utilize Google productivity software such as Google Sheets, Google Docs and Google Slides
It's preferred if you have:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience with CATIA V5 (V6R2015x or higher is a plus)
- Experience with ENOVIA
- Experience of 3DCS software
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.