Test Engineer, Autonomy Software
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this Autonomy Software Test Engineer role, you'll:
- Collaborate with systems engineers and developers to build comprehensive test plans of driving behavior, and prioritize the development of the testing in those plans.
- Choose appropriate test methods (e.g. pure simulation vs. closed-course) and define the details of the tests. This may include in-depth analysis, like what the worst-case intersection for a test is, and careful test setup to make tests repeatable, stressful, and realistic.
- Work with the testing operations team to implement and conduct tests, as well as do some testing yourself. Provide quality checks and feedback to the testing operations team.
- Analyze test results, understand and prioritize failures, and clearly communicate results to systems engineers and developers. Create and maintain dashboards that allow others to understand test performance.
- Work with the simulation team to solve test realism, stressfulness, and scaling challenges.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Strong test definition and execution skills for complex systems, including hands-on experience. Ability to communicate clearly with operations teams implementing or executing tests. Be driven to find issues before our customers do.
- Solid physics and software fundamentals.
- Ability to understand the nuances of self-driving requirements, algorithms, and the operating environment, so you can test rigorously.
- Ability to analyze data (e.g. using Python or MATLAB), including using large datasets.
It’s preferred if you have:
- The careful mindset required for safety-critical development, the ability to work quickly, and the judgement to balance those qualities.
- Proactive & organized, with good collaboration skills.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.