Manager, Federal Policy and Government Affairs
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team has a front seat in this exciting moment in the evolution of self-driving vehicles, transportation, and tech policy. Successful navigation of this policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the international, national, state, and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of this technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, partnerships, and other teams, and we work closely with highly-skilled legal and safety experts.
In this role, you’ll:
- Engage directly with policymakers, regulators, industry stakeholders, and key opinion leaders to shape policy and political dialogue across a variety of legislative and regulatory proposals before Congress and key federal agencies
- Track current and emerging activity within Congress and key federal agencies, while developing and executing policy strategy that benefits Waymo’s users and business
- Develop subject matter expertise in key policy areas, as determined
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with Members of Congress and their staff, federal agency officials, and other key external stakeholders
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Passionate and knowledgeable about emerging technology and related public policy
- 7+ years of experience working on technology or transportation policy issues within government, think tanks, public interest groups, technology or transportation companies, or relevant industry associations
- Bachelor’s degree; graduate or law degree preferred
- Knowledge about and relationships with key Congressional policymakers.
- Skilled at persuasively and diplomatically advocating complex policy positions before a wide variety of audiences
- Adaptable team player with the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and uncertain environment
It’s preferred if you have:
- Knowledge of the policy environment surrounding self-driving passenger and commercial vehicles
- Knowledge of future of work, labor, and workforce development policy issues
- Knowledge of privacy, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and other public policy issues related to data-driven industries
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and exceptional verbal and written communication skills
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.