Optical Metrology Development Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
This position is on the LiDAR technology team where you will be responsible for the definition, development, characterization and maintenance of optical test equipment. This role requires broad technical knowledge in the areas of imaging optics, illumination design for optical instruments and equipment specification processes to drive either internal or external development.
In this Hardware Engineering role, you'll:
- Understand the test requirements in the manufacturing and test flow of lidar systems
- Define methods and principles to test the various subsystems or fully assembled systems
- Specify hardware/software/throughput/performance/GRR/reliability requirements for the test equipment
- Work with either internal or external groups to develop the testers
- Characterize and deploy the test equipment in a manufacturing line
- Establish specifications for component pass/fail working together with other engineering and manufacturing teams
- Ensure that the test equipment are capable of qualifying the parts to the defined specs
- Define daily monitoring and periodic maintenance plans for test equipment
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- MS or Ph.D. in Optics, Physics, EE, or a closely related field and 6+ years of experience
- Broad knowledge of optical/mechanical/electrical/software systems pertaining to test systems
- Design of experiments to troubleshoot issues
- Strong data analysis skills and knowledge of Python or Matlab
- Experience in developing/characterizing/deploying optical test equipment in a mid to high volume manufacturing environment
- Ability to work in a cross functional groups, balancing the needs of various teams
- Excellent communication / presentation skills
It's preferred that you have:
- Experience with LiDAR systems
- Familiar with automotive grade systems development
- Optical modeling in Zemax or equivalent
- Vendor management experience with both domestic and international vendors
- Ability to travel 10 to 15% of the time
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.