Tech Lead Manager Waymo Apps
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo App team builds three production grade apps: a Consumer App on both iOS and Android, and our Ops App on Android for our internal users.
Our Consumer App is used daily by our dedicated users in Phoenix and our team members here in MTV. It is the first portal for our users into our transportation service and a critical part of the overall experience. Users learn about our product, order / track a car, remotely unlock the vehicle, set the hvac, and much more all from the app.
Our Ops App is a critical part of our internal operations and management of our scaling fleet. From supporting compliance to improving efficiency for our vehicle operators - this app is a one stop shop to help achieve our driving milestones. Features range from tracking vehicles, completing checklists to get vehicles out on the road, and communicating with dispatchers, vehicle operators, and vehicle technicians.
We are looking for a TLM passionate about user experience, scale, and a track record of shipping polished products to market. This is an opportunity to manage and lead the team responsible for shipping the user portal to Waymo’s growing transportation service.
In this TLM role, you'll:
- Bring your passion for Waymo’s first product to leading the three apps. Being an engaged dogfooder and feeling the pain of your users is a critical piece to building successful apps here.
- Prioritize features and focus on scaling the apps for a rapidly growing user base YoY. This ranges from building uniquely Self Driving TaaS features to excellent testing and validation systems.
- The end goal is to inspire trust in the self-driving systems, so working closely with cross-functional teams of product managers, designers and UX researchers, as well as the vehicle engineers and AI experts to experiment and iterate is necessary.
We'd like you to have:
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Management experience with a team that is growing and multi disciplined
- Client-server protocols (gRPC, protobuf)
- Experience in building and shipping Android and iOS apps from scratch using Google’s best practices
- Knowledge of analytics tools (Dremel, etc) and common practices to track session conversion, user retention, etc.
- Focus on pixel-perfect UI and proven history of strong collaboration with UX designers
- Compelling communication skills, being able to collaborate with the wider Waymo team (product managers, designers, vehicle and robotics engineers, and executives
Additional experience in:
- Open GL or related 3D graphics
- Bluetooth and related technologies
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.