Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Simulation Team enables Waymo to simulate and analyze millions of miles of driving every day. We can recreate, modify, and amplify our real-world experience -- or generate entirely new situations from scratch. Our work is central to the development workflow of the onboard self-driving software team, enabling onboard engineers to rapidly iterate and understand the subtle consequences of any change to the system. As powerful as this system is, however, there are still many open problems to solve and much work ahead of us.
On our Simulation team, we have multiple Software Engineering roles open. Some examples of problems we want to solve are:
- Design simulated agents that interact in realistic ways with the self-driving car
- Seamlessly integrate logged data replay and simulated agents
- Quantify the performance and safety characteristics of the self-driving car
- Filter simulated data and detect the most interesting issues
- Build reliable and scalable infrastructure services that make it easy to use simulation in new ways
- Automate or streamline manual triage processes performed by a large team of operators
- Generate simulations that target specific challenges
- Automatically pick the most useful simulations to run at any time
- Accelerate onboard software development with improved tools and visualization
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A BS or MS in Computer Science or a similar discipline. An equivalent amount of real-life experience is also welcome
- Experience with C++ (or a willingness to learn) and comfortable navigating a large code base
- Passion about self-driving cars
It’s preferred if you have:
- Industry experience writing C++
- Full stack web development experience (frontend and backend)
- AngularJS or Angular2 experience
- Interest in learning from and optimizing for users
- Experience or an interest in machine learning or AV simulation
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.