Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this Quantitative Researcher role you'll:
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Define and measure quantitative goals and metrics in collaboration with Product/Program Managers, UX/Graphic/Motion/Industrial Designers, Researchers from other disciplines, Engineers, and Waymo’s Leadership
- Examine existing data and product/system designs to generate hypotheses and plans for high-impact research
- Prioritize and drive research to guide Waymo’s business decisions and improve people’s experiences with our products and services
- Develop code, create and evaluate statistical models, and apply a wide range of data analysis methods to understand and shape the experiences of Waymo riders, staff, and partners
- Drive change by communicating research findings and evidence-based insights to stakeholders at all levels in the company, and making recommendations that are convincing and actionable for both experts and non-experts
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Statistics, Psychology, a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 2 years of experience in an applied research setting
- Fluency in a programming language commonly used for data manipulation and computational statistics (such as Python, R, Matlab, C++, Java, or Go), and in SQL
It's preferred if you have:
- Masters degree or doctorate in Computer Science, Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, Statistics, a related field, or equivalent practical experience
- 5 years of relevant work experience, especially with User Experience, Human-Computer Interaction, and/or Product teams
- Theoretical knowledge and practical experience with advanced statistical and machine learning analysis techniques (e.g., embeddings, text mining)
- Proficiency in programming computational and statistical algorithms for large, complex data sets
- Track record demonstrating excellent command of research questions within a given domain, and of technical tools for the analysis of data within that field
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.