Field Safety Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and help to continuously improve the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving vehicles. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout the design and development of our vehicles. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps advise on compliance with applicable environmental, health, and safety regulations.
In this Field Safety Engineer role, you’ll:
- Lead investigations into employee safety concerns and other potential issues that could pose risks to the safety of Waymo vehicles currently operating in the field, and work with other Waymo teams to develop solutions when needed
- Analyze data from Waymo vehicles to identify and assess trends
- Work with Legal and other Waymo teams to respond to governmental investigations and legal claims
- Communicate Waymo’s field safety processes to outside stakeholders including first responders
- Help promote a positive safety culture throughout the organization
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical degree and 5+ years work experience
- Hands-on experience with field safety in the form of accident reconstruction, failure analysis, and/or automotive defect investigation
- Analytical proficiency demonstrated through experience performing quantitative risk assessment, reliability analysis, and/or statistical data analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Self motivated and ability to network internally
It’s preferred if you have:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in engineering or a related technical field
- Software familiarity in autonomy or machine learning
- Familiarity with product liability principles
- Experience in evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance and/or interacting with regulators
- Experience with highly automated vehicles
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.