Vehicle Systems Engineer - Electrical
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this Vehicle Systems Engineer - Electrical role, you'll:
- Work with vehicle partners and Waymo systems engineers to:
- Define electrical communications requirements (signals, timing, etc.) between the self-driving system and the vehicle platform electrical modules
- Create and manage the vehicle platform electrical network architecture diagram
- Oversee the integration of vehicle module SW to ensure it meets Waymo’s requirements
- Carrying out redundancy surveys across vehicle communication buses and signal lists
- Craft and execute of Verification and Validation (V&V) plans for platform communications across various platforms and prototype phases. You will plan and execute tests, analyze test data, analyze field issues, and understand and resolve defects, leveraging the operations team where possible.
- Devise and maintain a system integration plan between the Self-Driving System and the Vehicle Platform
- Champion platform integration build events, acting as the main interface between Waymo and our Vehicle partners to raise, root cause and close build issues.
- Devise a maintain a software management plan of vehicle software delivery timing and feature sets
- Updating vehicle prototype fleet software and troubleshooting issues to achieve the required capability set for each vehicle
- Definition of the Waymo’s fleet update policy with respect to vehicle platform software
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or similar
- At least 3 years experience in an automotive (or similar industry) electrical communication networks and software role delivering software and/or hardware
- Working knowledge of vehicle communication network systems (CAN, FlexRay, LIN, Ethernet, etc.)
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience in fail-safe and fail-tolerant system design
- Mindset and experience in mapping out design and requirements spaces for complex vehicles or systems with attention to detail to ensure gaps and flow-downs are fully covered
- A strong root-cause analysis mindset to problem solving.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.