Commercial Vehicle Integration Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Hardware Engineering role, you'll:
- Mechanical, electrical, and software integration and bringup of novel self-driving and commercial vehicle platform systems
- Integrating and debugging issues with self driving systems and base chassis components on class 8 vehicles. Work will include some ME, some EE, and likely some code level debugging
- Advising on requirements and interface definitions between subsystems and components, and gathering of key pieces of data or knowledge through design and execution of tests, experiments, and workstreams
- Working with vendor partners for engineering and manufacturing
- In general -- getting stuff done!
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- BS or in EE/ME/CE/CSE or related field, or sufficient practical work experience
- Experience working directly with deployed systems (HW and SW), ideally in fast-paced or tech environments
- A high level understanding of various systems needed to make a self driving vehicle (sensors, compute, wiring, power, vehicle actuators, chassis communication, controls, etc)
- Very strong hands-on experience assembling, working with, and debugging complex hardware and software systems
- A very wide breadth of knowledge in the EE/CE/CS/Mech realm, and can spin up on a new topic very quickly
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience with mechanical and electrical components of modern commercial vehicle control systems. General familiarity with pneumatics brakes and J1939 is a big plus
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.