Embedded Software Engineer, Trucking
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Embedded Software Engineer, Trucking role, you'll:
- Develop C++ modules for embedded systems that control brakes, steering, throttle, and communicate with other vehicle subsystems (e.g., over CAN)
- Develop unit tests and integration tests (on simulator and in-vehicle, including fault injection)
- Analyze performance of Waymo hardware from field data and investigate issues including compatibility/integration issues with 3rd party hardware
- Interact with System Engineers, EEs and Operations on design and reliability/safety goals
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- Degree (BS, MS) in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, Controls or similar, or equivalent practical experience
- Exceptional C++ programming or hands-on experience with embedded systems (including resource-constrained microcontrollers)
- Interested in the challenges of integrating your own work with other Waymo and 3rd party electronics
It's preferred if you have:
- Advanced knowledge of modern C++ patterns, idioms and unit test methodology
- In-depth understanding of Embedded Systems and associated development and debugging tools
- Experience with safety critical systems and functional safety
- Automotive industry experience (e.g.., CAN, J1939, vehicle control)
- Experience with data analysis tools applied to large data sets (e.g., fleet logs)
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.