Vehicle Systems Engineer - Thermal Systems
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Define detailed requirements, targets and implementation strategies for the thermal & HV systems controls and calibration.
- Develop & lead trade studies to help drive decisions and balance competing requirements. This involves a mix of multi-disciplinary problem solving, detailed analysis and testing, and close collaboration with domain experts and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with OEM partners and Waymo design teams on design implementation to ensure requirements are able to be met. As issues arise, determine whether to adjust requirements, modify the design, or allow a waiver based on the big-picture goals of the system
- Create and guide execution for vehicle test programs for thermal and high voltage systems to evaluate performance against the defined requirements. You will plan and execute tests, analyze test data, analyze field issues, and understand and resolve defects, leveraging the test engineering and operations team where possible.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BS/MS or equivalent years of experience in Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or similar
- At least 3 years experience in a controls design, systems engineering or vehicle engineering/evaluation role.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Relevant experience in designing thermal systems controls and calibrations for automotive or similar products. Experience with vehicle communications networks to implement these calibrations is also desired.
- Experience in mapping out design and requirements spaces for complex vehicles or systems with attention to detail, including the ability to conduct complex trade studies across Vehicle Attributes.
- Experience in planning & conducting large test campaigns such as vehicle hot trips.
- Experience working with automotive OEM evaluation processes and facilities with an understanding of a typical automotive development process including major milestones & deliverables
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.