Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
At Waymo Legal, you will work on the exciting legal issues surrounding our transformational autonomous vehicle technology and help drive our business lines forward from technology ideation through scaled commercial deployment. We partner with our public policy, safety, security and privacy experts to define transportation policy for the self-driving world to come, advising on regulatory changes that support and protect our users around the world. We collaborate with our engineering, product, strategy and operations teams to develop and protect our intellectual property portfolio and drive our corporate and commercial transactions. We ensure compliance with an increasingly complex and dynamic range of global regulations. And we anticipate, mitigate, and litigate high-profile and precedent-setting legal matters.
In this role, you'll:
- Actively manage a patent portfolio, including determine strategic areas for patenting, conduct patent harvest sessions, manage invention disclosures, identify patentable subject matter, and manage outside patent counsel to ensure quality and timely work product
- Develop a macro view of the portfolio being managed and strategically prosecute patent applications to maximize value
- Generally educate researchers, engineers and business teams on IP issues and provide counsel on IP terms in commercial and corporate matters.
- Manage responses to IP related communications, working cross-functionally across the legal and business teams, including potentially evaluating acquisition and licensing opportunities
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and 3+ years of relevant legal experience
- Solid technical background/understanding of autonomous vehicle related hardware, including sensor technologies, and software, preferably related to AI/machine learning
- Eagerness to work in a startup environment and flexibly roll up your sleeves as an individual contributor to help drive our fast-paced and dynamic business within a rapidly-developing and emerging industry
- Execution-oriented individual with strong interpersonal, communication, and team skills. Ability to present to engineering teams and senior management.
- Demonstrated experience in three or more of the following: identifying patentable technologies, patent analysis, acquisition, licensing, litigation, and/or handling of third party demands
It’s preferred if you have:
- JD degree with a strong academic record, state bar membership, and 5+ years of relevant legal experience
- Prior firm experience preparing and prosecuting patents worldwide; Prior in-house experience working side-by-side with engineers, supply chain, marketing, and leadership to spot, address, and counsel on IP issues
- Experience with technology licensing and patent litigation
- Knowledge of industry tools and resources to analyze patent portfolios
- Ability to understand cross-functional perspectives and navigate ambiguity Ability to identify and create streamlined processes to support a growing company
- Experience developing integrated IP strategies that support business goals
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.