Camera Development Engineer - Infrared
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Hardware Engineering role, you'll:
- Create and maintain system performance models for thermal imaging cameras
- Establish methods to characterize and benchmark thermal imaging camera cores
- Optimize reliability and cost of thermal imaging module through design and manufacturing process changes
- Verify performance and validate requirements for thermal imaging modules
- Test and evaluate new product offerings and emerging technologies in the thermal imaging space
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- A Master’s in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, or equivalent degree
- 5 years of experience with thermal infrared imaging systems in the areas of module design, test, or manufacturing
- A solid understanding of infrared system performance metrics and test methods including: D*, NEdT, MTF, and image distortion
It's preferred if you:
- Understand and be able to explain clearly the theory of operation of thermal imaging systems, radiometry and scene phenomenology
- Have hands-on experience with two or more of the following technical areas: microbolometer design/test, read-out integrated circuit (ROIC) design/test, thermal image sensor processing (ISP), characterization or design verification of microbolometer-based thermal imaging systems, test/calibration of thermal imaging cameras, thermal imaging camera end-of-line test, thermal imager characterization and/or calibration
- Have hands-on experience building or testing thermal imagers, thermal imaging subsystems, and/or thermal imager test stations
- Fluency in tools for thermal image/video data analysis and presentation: Matlab, Python, or other scientific computing language
- Have a bias towards action over analysis, a demonstrably strong work ethic, and a high standard for quality of work
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.