Safety, Environment and Health Manager
Chandler, Arizona, United States
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving vehicles. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout the design and development of our vehicles. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps to ensure Waymo is complying with applicable environmental, health and safety regulations.
In this Safety, Environment and Health Manager role, you'll:
- Lead the SEH efforts for Waymo. Take responsibility for existing processes and build a robust safety program for all Waymo sites and office locations
- Proactively monitor SEH performance. Develop metrics and present data in periodic safety meetings as well as proactively to the organization based on trends and areas for improvement within the labs, offices, garages and depots
- Manage, coordinate and conduct SEH training and ensure compliance with all relevant SEH requirements. Tie Lab access and other job specific requirements to completion of hazard specific safety training
- Prepare or oversee the completion of site specific environmental permitting and environmental summary tables/charts. Coordinate environmental assessments of property acquisitions. Provide SEH input during tenant improvement and construction projects including SEH regulatory permits and design considerations. Interface and coordinate with appropriate regulatory personnel for addressing SEH regulatory requirements. Coordinate and work with personnel and resources, as needed, for the support of the safety process
- Lead inspections and audits as required by company programs and/or regulations. Perform Risk Rank Assessments to identify hazards and the required controls to mitigate. Complete or ensure completion of monitoring activities as required by permits and/or company procedures
- Oversee the use of SEH online and written materials to meet relevant Cal/OSHA regulatory requirements and present information to prevent or minimize related injuries and illnesses, protect the quality of the workplace, and protect the surrounding environment. Also conduct, complete and review accident/incident reporting, and complete the appropriate forms and Cal/OSHA / OSHA logs. Assist with emergencies and conduct drills for preparedness
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in Managing an SEH program company-wide
- Experience with EPA/OSHA regulations for facilities and employees
- Experience training personnel in SEH subjects
- Experience managing SEH personnel
It’s preferred if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Safety, Environmental Science or related fields
- Lab experience with Lasers, radar, camera, lithium ion batteries, garage and vehicle operations.
- Experience managing SEH in transportation sector working under a safety management system
- Knowledgeable in the compliance requirements of the pertinent codes, regulations and standards. Experience with DOT, FMVSS, NHTSA
- Excellent communication, organizational, time-management and multitasking skills.
- Experience and familiarity with the development and implementation of various SEH programs
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.