Software Engineer, Transportation Infrastructure
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The transportation & ride-hailing infrastructure team builds the backends and software on the car to operate Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles as a commercial service. Our systems allow our vehicles to deliver people and goods safely and efficiently to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like scalability, capacity planning, reliable communications, and vehicle routing, while collaborating with software engineers and product managers both on and off the car. If you’re a software engineer who’s curious and passionate about bringing Level 4 autonomous driving the public, we'd like to meet you.
In this role you'll:
- Work with experts in the field of autonomous vehicles
- Implement and scale the back-end infrastructure for Waymo's ride-hailing services. This collection of systems manages trip requests and commits rides to vehicles; provides APIs to client apps and other services; calculates pickup and ride times; implements Waymo's routing algorithms.
- Develop expertise in and make use of various Google technologies, like Borg, Spanner, Map Reduce, and custom-built systems for our specific problems
- Design and implement software for autonomous vehicles to handle passenger interactions, and protocols for reliable operation of our vehicles in a commercial service
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 2+ years of industry experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- MS in Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience
- 2-5 years of experience in data structures and algorithms
- 2-5 years of experience programming in C++ and/or with writing robust, efficient, server-side code
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.