Vehicle Systems Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
In this role, you'll:
- Both internally and with vehicle partners, define and negotiate key vehicle level function and attribute requirements based on overall program objectives and targets from first principles, test data, and previous experience
- Define self-driving requirements and systems architecture for vehicle platform systems such as vehicle communications networks, power supply, braking, steering & powertrain systems.
- Lead trade studies to help drive decisions and balance competing requirements. This involves a mix of multi-disciplinary problem solving, detailed analysis and testing, and close collaboration with domain experts and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that the “gaps” between the subsystems being delivered are understood, and define tests that will uncover any system interaction issues
- Work as one of Waymo’s key interfaces with our OEM vehicle partners. Define the platform systems engineering process for a particular vehicle program. Drive execution of this process ensuring requirements & verification of each platform group align with vehicle level requirements and timing.
- Work with teams during implementation to ensure requirements will be met. As issues arise, determine whether to adjust requirements, modify the design, or allow a waiver based on the big-picture goals of the system
- Create and guide execution a vehicle system test program that will evaluate the final performance of the vehicle functions and attributes and measure it against the defined requirements. You will plan and execute tests, analyze test data, analyze field issues, and understand and resolve defects, leveraging the operations
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BS in engineering field with a background in delivery of hardware and/or software
- At least 7 years experience in a mechanical and/or electrical design, systems engineering or vehicle evaluation role.
- Mindset and experience in mapping out design and requirements spaces for complex vehicles or systems with attention to detail to ensure gaps and flow-downs are fully covered.
It’s preferred if you have:
- A solid understanding of major automotive vehicle systems such as Powertrain, Communications Networks, Motion Control, Thermal and Electrical Power supply systems.
- Experience in planning & testing safety-critical systems and conducting large tests such as vehicle thermal, crash & durability tests.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to collaborate & drive execution with cross-functional teams. Be able to lead others to solve technical problems even when you don’t manage them directly.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.