Special Projects Lead & Strategic Consultant, Engineering Operations
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Engineering Operations team plays a vital role in the creation and development of our self-driving technology. Software Quality, Labeling and Mapping Operations are all part of this team: we review critical events, flag problematic cases, build sets of labeled data for machine learning, and make sure our high-definition maps are extraordinarily accurate as they grow with the business.
In this Special Projects lead & Strategic Consultant role, you’ll:
- Lead strategic projects spanning across Engineering Operations, driving the key decisions that will lead the multi-thousand person operation to success
- Help guide strategic vision for organization, being a key partner to the leadership team
- Join cross-functional groups working on key Waymo-wide problems
- Deliver effective communications to the frontline teams, including ensuring that international offices are kept in sync
- Organize offsites and other strategic planning events
- Lead relations with strategic staffing providers to ensure sufficient high-quality resources onboarded, and being a lead in global vendor relationships
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Structured thinking - can easily break down complex ambiguous problems and propose solutions
- Strong analytical ability, with advanced experience in Google Sheets/Excel
- Strong communication and presentation skills - can explain complicated topics and ideas in a clear and concise manner
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to work with very different teams, at the intersection of engineering and operations in a fast-moving startup environment
- Fast learner - able to quickly ramp up on new technical and business topics
- MBA and/or several years of experience in management consulting, financial services or analytics roles
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience working in leadership / strategic role in an operational team
- Proficiency with SQL, with experience with internal Google tools such as PLX dashboards and dasnavs preferred
- Numerical-based degree (mathematics, engineering, economics, natural sciences etc), or equivalent experience in analytical roles
- Ability to stay calm under pressure and sense of humour is always appreciated
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.