Supplier Development Engineer, Vehicle Components
Mountain View, California, United States
Novi, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's supply chain and manufacturing teams are making the cars of the future a reality. We handle all production processes and supplier development strategies: from contracts and purchasing, to designs for improved manufacturing, through quality control and delivery. We collaborate actively with Waymo engineering teams as well as external suppliers and partners to make sure everything is built to spec and delivered on time to meet the rising demands of our business.
In this Supplier Development Engineer role, you'll:
- Evaluate potential suppliers for their manufacturing and quality capabilities based on project needs. Conduct 3D model and 2D drawing reviews with suppliers to assess Design for Manufacturability, and collaborate with Design Engineering to release feasible component designs
- Identify supplier equipment, fixture and tooling needs and drive implementation schedules and efforts to qualify and optimize the manufacturing process
- Review progress of development activities at supplier locations and serve as point of escalation for manufacturing processes that are not capable of meeting design intent. Develop/implement/monitor supplier Quality Control Plans and measurement systems for early detection of quality issues to ensure parts meet or exceed quality and reliability requirements
- Drive OK2X (OK2Tool, OK2Build, OK2Ship) deliverables in new product introduction phases to ensure readiness of the supplier’s manufacturing process and quality controls before each build
- Work with Global Supply Managers to assess supplier readiness to support build events and production ramp. Identify potential execution issues and provide recommendations to mitigate risk
- Evaluate supplier dimensional measurement, functional test results, and validation test data to assess each supplier’s capability to meet design intent
- Investigate, correct and monitor ongoing improvement of product quality issues at suppliers and experienced by customers. Must enable collaborative, timely, data-driven decision making to tackle product quality related issues
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- 6+ years experience in a Supplier Quality Engineering and/or Manufacturing Engineering role in the consumer electronics or automotive/transportation manufacturing arena, supporting new product launches from a manufacturing, tooling, quality, or product development perspective
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical / Industrial / Electrical Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to work independently, identifying and addressing problems with appropriate priority
- Experience with a variety of component manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, metal casting, metal stamping, CNC machining, and light manual assembly
- Strong skills leading the 7D problem solving processes : problem definition, containment, occurrence/escape root cause analysis, corrective/preventive action planning and execution
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally 20% of the time
It's preferred if you have:
- Experience with interpretation of design drawings/GD&T, schematics, and cosmetic standards for creation and execution of inspection criteria
- Strong experience with manufacturing as well as supply chain techniques and processes such as supplier audits, new product introductions, product life cycles, manufacturing engineering, first article inspection, technical documentation, etc.
- Demonstrates excellent problem solving & communication skills while working alone and in large teams; interfacing with assembly operators, inspectors, production supervisors, engineers, and technical managers
- Working experience with IATF 16949 5 Core Tools (APQP/PPAP/FMEA/MSA/SPC)
- Experience working with component manufacturers and suppliers on multiple continents
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 50% of the time
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.