Best Practices Specialist
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety Team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving vehicles. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout design and is being integrated into our technology. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps to ensure Waymo is complying with applicable safety regulations.
In this Best Practices Specialist role, you’ll:
- Coordinate Waymo’s participation in industry standard setting efforts
- Facilitate and track participation by Waymo employees in industry standards development efforts of greatest importance to Waymo
- Identify, evaluate, and adapt existing best practices for Waymo
- Where industry best practices are absent or wanting, develop Waymo’s own best practices and/or work with industry to develop such practices
- Represent the Safety team on best practices issues to other senior personnel within Waymo and with external technical and policy stakeholders
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- 5-10+ years of experience in Safety regulation and/or Best Practices development in the automotive or comparable high-reliability safety industry
- Knowledge and experience in working with regulations and associated processes to ensure proper compliance and controls are in place
- History of excelling in the development, analysis and use of data to drive effective decision-making
- Ability to create a strategic vision and develop a plan for its implementation
- Masters or PhD with a strong academic record, along with strong communication skills (oral and written)
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience working with SAE Technical Committees or other standard setting organizations
- Published or participated in standards development on automation, complex vehicle or electronic systems, or road safety
- Previous experience working in an engineering role with deep technical responsibilities
- Extensive knowledge about the automotive and autonomous vehicle industry, along with associated regulatory and standard setting experience
- A passion for Waymo’s autonomous vehicle vision
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.