Intern, Perception Research and Development
Mountain View, California, United States
Seattle, Washington, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
At Waymo, we are building a perception system that senses and understands the complex environment around our self-driving vehicles. We conduct novel research and development to address real-world perception problems and collaborate with research teams across Alphabet. Here at Waymo, we have access to millions of miles of real driving data from a diverse set of sensors, enabling researchers like you to develop complex models and techniques at scale. We apply cutting-edge technologies in machine learning and robotics to this data to tackle challenging areas such as:
- object detection, segmentation, and classification
- state estimation and tracking
- activity recognition
- semantic and contextual reasoning
- onboard mapping and reconstruction
- sensor processing, filtering, and fusion
Improvements deployed to our system can immediately impact our large fleet of autonomous vehicles. We are looking for candidates who are curious and passionate about autonomous driving.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you will:
- Conduct cutting edge research and development in new perception algorithms to solve challenging real-world problems.
- Deploy your algorithms and models onto a fleet of self-driving cars.
- Participate in publishing findings in academic conferences and journals.
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- Must be enrolled in an MS or PhD program in Computer Science, Robotics or similar technical field of study.
- Strong algorithmic background.
- Experience in at least one of: computer vision, machine learning, or robotics.
- Strong coding experience in C++ and/or Python.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience with Tensorflow or deep learning models.
- Large-scale data processing and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated interest in research and development through academic projects or publications.
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Note: We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, please apply to each one individually.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.