OEM Program Engineering Lead
Mountain View, California, United States
Novi, Michigan, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
Waymo partners with established automotive manufacturers to integrate our self driving technology into vehicle platforms. As OEM Program Engineering Lead, you will be responsible for leading the technical relationship between Waymo and the OEM, as well as managing the scope, timing, cost, and deliverables of the partnership.
In this Hardware Engineering role, you'll:
- Manage all OEM engineering activities required to integrate self-driving system technology into a new vehicle platform including specification development, design, sourcing, build, and testing for software, electrical, and mechanical systems
- Develop and manage the program schedule, including program delivery milestones. Harmonize timeline conflicts between the OEM partner and Waymo
- Manage delivery against contractual scope, requirements, budget, and deliverables
- Direct OEM partner personnel on engineering issues and resolve trade-offs to meet Waymo requirements and objectives
- Facilitate communication between all program stakeholders at the OEM partner and Waymo’s team; engage with the OEM partner to obtain support, data, and decisions in a timely manner
At the minimum, we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related discipline or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years of engineering management, program management, or similar team leadership experience
- Proven delivery experience in the automotive industry with OEMs or Tier 1 suppliers
It's preferred if you have:
- Fluency in Japanese
- Experience with product development at Japanese automotive OEMs and/or suppliers
- Experience leading cross-functional, international teams and projects
- Self-starter with creative and critical thinking capabilities and demonstrates the ability to work autonomously to manage projects and maintain communication with interested parties
- Experience delivering to production one or more of the following technical disciplines: body structures, electrical distribution systems, interior systems, exterior systems, chassis controls (brakes, steering), body controls
- Excellent communication, organization and interpersonal skills
- Ability to support international travel
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.