Systems Engineer - Requirements Lead
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Develop a requirements architecture that will be comprehensive, flexible and durable. You will accelerate AV development while ensuring that mission and safety elements are specified and verified
- This requirements architecture will link the high level safety and product missions of Waymo to the detailed engineering work necessary to build an autonomous fleet. It will also be instrumental in demonstrating to outside entities the thoroughness and rigor of Waymo’s engineering.
- Champion the implementation of your requirements approach. While you may not write the bulk of the requirements, you will inspire the domain experts to do so with excellence.
- Design workflows and frameworks for requirement definition and evolution, including traceability to design validation / verification outcomes.
- Deeply understand the underlying technology solutions and challenges in order to inform the structure and content of our requirements to facilitate robust technology development
- Help Waymo merge classic requirements techniques with modern HW/SW development models in such a way as to ensure system safety and robustness while accelerating development.
- Collaborate with outside groups and consortiums on industry best practices for autonomous vehicle requirements and verification methods.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant Engineering or related field (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
- 10 or more years engineering experience, preferable in industries with robust requirements based culture.
- Technical breadth and leadership skills to bridge various functional teams, including both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Basic software programming or scripting skills (e.g., Python, C/C++).
- Familiarity / exposure to automotive or autonomous systems industries
It’s preferred if you have:
- Advanced degree in engineering, computer science, physics, or other technical field.
- Experience designing or testing electromechanical & software systems, particularly automotive, aerospace systems or other safety critical systems
- Strong foundation in system engineering principles such as requirements definition, formal verification and validation methods
- Applied experience with requirements management and system modelling languages/toolchains/frameworks (SysML/UML, DOORS, JIRA, etc...)
- Exposure to / familiarity with functional and systems safety standards and practices like ISO 26262, IEC 61508, etc.
- Technical expertise in autonomous systems sensing, compute, and/or platform technologies (e.g. lidar, cameras, radar, high-performance computing, vehicle motion control actuators, etc)
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.