Intern, SWE, Machine Learning/Deep Learning, Behavior Prediction / Planner & Controls
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In our Software Engineering internship, you'll:
- Build decision-making systems for the self-driving vehicles, ensuring that the behavior of our vehicles is safe, smooth, and predictable to other road users
- Build robust solutions to cutting-edge driving problems
- Improve how our vehicles act and react in complex and nuanced situations
- Grow a fundamental understanding of the next driving challenges by analyzing real-world logs collected on our state-of-the-art fleet
- Work with a creative team of people who are responsible for ensuring that the behavior of our cars is safe, smooth, and predictable to other road users, which includes gracefully handling many complex situations involving social aspects (merging, negotiating narrow roads, etc), while dealing with noisy, uncertain, and incomplete information
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- Enrolled in a MS/PHD program in Computer Science, Robotics, or similar technical field of study
- Experience in machine learning or robotics
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- Experience programming in C++ and/or Python with robust, safety-critical, efficient code
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience using Tensorflow or similar ML tools
- Large-scale data processing and analytical skills
- Experience with Deep Learning Models (e.g. RNN/LSTM, CNN, VAE, GAN, etc)
- A strong publication record in top machine learning conferences such as NeurIPS, UAI and ICML
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Note: We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, please apply to each one individually.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.