Systems Engineer, Fleet Response
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Develop detailed and verifiable requirements and documentation for the system interactions between the self-driving software and the fleet response and management system
- Collaborate with software engineers, operations and product managers to develop robust solutions that meet product and safety goals
- Partner with systems test engineers to develop and execute verification and validation plans to deploy new features
- Perform detailed system analysis to evaluate system performance against product quality and safety goals
- Evaluate system performance using various tools and resources, including simulation and logs collected from real world autonomous operations
- Balance competing requirements across the system, which involves multidisciplinary problem solving, detailed analysis and testing, and driving consensus among domain experts and other stakeholders
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace or other relevant technical area
- 8+ years of experience, including a background in aerospace, robotics and/or automotive industries, with depth of experience in at least one technical area (e.g. motion control, software, sensing, etc)
- Strong systems engineering fundamentals across the full product lifecycle, from system architecture through transition into operations, especially for complex systems with safety-critical hardware and software components
- Strong test planning, execution, troubleshooting and data analysis skills, at the sub-system and full system level
- Proven ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and lead others to solve technical problems even when you don’t manage them directly
It’s preferred if you have:
- Specific experience in one or more of the following development phases of an autonomous vehicle (e.g. satellites, UAVs, UUVs) : flight testing, onboard/offboard compatibility testing, commissioning, transition to operations, and operations and maintenance
- Experience in performing safety and fault analysis of systems with safety and mission critical functions
- 2+ years of experience in the development or operations of autonomous technology (e.g. self-driving cars, drones, satellites, underwater vehicles) that have a remote commanding interface
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.