Trucking Operations Lead
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Operations keeps Waymo’s business rolling. We are the vehicle operators, service technicians and customer support specialists who test and maintain our self-driving vehicles and bring help and guidance to our passengers and customers. The Operations team is the heart of Waymo’s testing operations and ride hailing service, handling every detail to make sure that each ride is the ultimate user experience.
In this management role, you'll:
- Run R&D driving operations efficiently for our AV trucking fleet to deliver against testing and safety requirements:
- Lead, manage and develop a large team comprised of both full time employees and indirect workforce
- Ensure effective creation and deployment of company processes and policies to achieve safe and efficient operations
- Develop plans to strategically scale operations in new markets (vehicles, labour) accounting for safety and regulatory requirements while balancing AV technology deployment needs
- Work with other operational leads to influence and drive operational improvements and efficiencies
- Be the onsite leader for all cross-functional teams working within AV Trucking (e.g. tech ops, facilities, engineering, and product)
- Ensure timely information cascade to the team and act as the primary communications point of contact
- Communicate with cross-functional partners, organizing and prioritizing special test requests and events
- Serve as main leadership point of contact for all local trucking engagements understanding and representing local employees needs,
- Champion market initiatives including commercial pilots and closed course testing
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- Strong people and operations management experience in large organizations, with multiple levels of employees and skill sets.
- Experience managing an indirect workforce
- 5 years+ leading day-to-day field operations, with an outstanding track record on improving processes
- Organized, data-driven, strategically focused and with ability to multitask in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment
- Must be adaptable to a changing environment and able to consistently achieve goals despite ambiguity
- Ability to lead large teams directly and influence cross functional teams
It is preferred if you have:
- MBA or Masters Degree in Operations, Supply Chain or similar field.
- Ability to dive deep into the data and provide thought-provoking, workable business solutions
- Experience in delivering presentations to executive leadership team peers, managers and staff
- Ability to proactively identify problems and issues across workflows then create workflows, programs and procedures to solve them
- 2 years+ experience leading operations in transportation, logistics or trucking operations and/or AV operations
- Experience operating in a matrix organization
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.