Manager, Safety Management System
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving vehicles. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout the design and development of our vehicles. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps to ensure Waymo is complying with applicable environmental, health and safety regulations.
In this Safety Management System (SMS) Manager role, you'll:
- Lead all aspects of Waymo’s SMS program. Take responsibility for administering the system and ensuring continuous improvement of the SMS content in the areas of safety policy, safety risk management, safety assurance and safety promotion
- Serve as the subject matter expert and represent the company to external stakeholders including regulatory officials in all matters related to Waymo’s SMS program. Maintain knowledge of and be the content expert for emerging regulations and industry practices in transportation safety management systems
- Establish working relationships at all levels of the organization providing guidance, training and support to all divisions/departments on SMS matters. Maintain oversight for SMS findings and suggestions for improvement.Track status of corrective actions and verify effectiveness. Manage, coordinate and conduct SMS training and ensure compliance with all relevant requirements
- Proactively monitor and communicate SMS performance. Conduct formal periodic reviews of the SMS, develop metrics and present data in periodic safety meetings as well as proactively to the organization based on trends and areas for improvement within the SMS
- Oversee the implementation and administration of the SMS including SMS tools (software) and system functionality. Manage and control SMS content to maintain simplified language and a user friendly experience. Manage the system functionality to ensure interfaces are appropriate and maintained and technology is used to facilitate implementation
- Develop, implement and maintain the SMS audit program and lead and/or coordinate internal and external SMS audits as required by company programs and/or regulations
- Develop and maintain the governance for the SMS program including document control, workflows and system functionality along with Legal and other internal stakeholders
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in Managing an operational SMS program company-wide in a transportation sector (aviation, maritime, trucking etc)
- Experience training personnel in SMS subjects
- Experience managing safety and/or operational personnel
- Project management experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Safety, Transportation or related fields
- Experience managing and/or operating under an SMS in the transportation sector
- Statistics and data analysis experience
- Knowledgeable in the compliance requirements of the pertinent codes, regulations and standards. Experience with DOT, FMVSS, NHTSA
- Excellent communication, organizational, time-management and multitasking skills.
- Experience and familiarity with the development and implementation of various safety programs
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.