Intern, Hardware, Mechanical Engineering
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you’ll:
- Develop test methods and solutions for complex electro-mechanical hardware sensors
- Characterize materials for mechanical properties such as strength and hardness, brittleness and fracture toughness
- Compare various test methods and correlate experimental results to real failures seen on Waymo vehicles
- Determine the root cause of experimental failures and investigate the physics behind such failures
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Junior or Senior full time undergraduate student enrolled in a 4-year mechanical engineering or material science program
- At least 1 course completed in engineering mechanics, solid mechanics or fluid mechanics
- At least 1 course in basic laboratory experimentation and measurements
It’s preferred if you have:
- Past internship or project experience with lab equipments
- Hands on experience building or racing robots, bicycles, etc.
- Basic knowledge of electrical engineering and/or optics
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Note: We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, please apply to each one individually.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.