CAD/Digital Design Manager
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first self-driving car, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this CAD/Digital Design Manager role, you will:
- Own CAD design process, drive surface quality standards across the team, supervise and aid data creation and data transfer from design to engineering and approve CAD data ready for release; manage team deliverables, projects, procurement of both software and hardware, plus the day-to day-output of the CAD function.
- Work daily with industrial designers to plan and create design intent digital models while collaborating closely with the wider teams to understand requirements.
- Create/manage high quality 3D surfaces for various design concepts, visualizations, prototypes, design and engineering evaluations; develop, manage, and inspect production quality class-A surfaces out of a variety of design/ engineering data for product development, tooling and manufacturing. Ensure a seamless and effective project schedule and communication with the design and engineering team
- Define all production design relevant details in parts and assemblies based on design directions and execution plan
- Work with internal/external partners (domestic and international) to develop parts for prototypes or production parts
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- Degree in Industrial Design, transportation design or similar field
- Minimum 10 years of design experience covering 3d modeling, product development and relevant engineering and manufacturing technical knowledge
- Strong visual/verbal communication and people managing skills.
- Excellent 3D design, 2D drawing and CAD skills. Excellent knowledge in digital/ physical modeling/ fabrication
- Strong technical background and understanding of the design process; Proven history of successful design and product development from concept to production
- Proficiency in Alias and Catia, an understanding of solid modeling and familiarity with rendering, visualization and animations
It’s preferred if you have:
- Extensive knowledge in engineering and manufacturing complex Class A parts and assemblies, aided by a deep understanding of the applicable tooling methods
- Experience in physical modeling/ fabrication
- Fluent in additional CAD packages such as Solidworks, Pro-e, and NX.
- Strong rendering, visualization and/or animation skills using SW such as VRED, Maya, and Keyshot
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.