Intern, Software Engineering, Data Science
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
The Data Science team at Waymo works to extract actionable insights with quantitative methods, and enable data-driven decision-making. We are actively engaged in various aspects of self-driving vehicles, including software development, safety evaluation, simulation optimization, etc.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this Data Science internship, you'll:
- Work with large, complex datasets from various sources to draw analytical insights
- Apply quantitative methods as needed to solve challenging problems
- Take ownership of end-to-end analysis from data gathering, processing, analyzing, deliverables, and presentations
- Work with cross-functional teams (including engineering, safety, product etc.) to identify interesting questions and communicate findings
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Solid technical background in applied stats, or related quantitative fields
- Coding fluency with R, Python, or SQL
- Demonstrated analytical thinking and data intuition when solving problems in a new problem space
- Ability to take an ambiguous question, use data to draw insights, and convey the results to a wide range of audience
- Must be enrolled in a PhD program focused on Statistics or similar technical field of study
It’s preferred if you have:
- Strong background in statistics and applied Machine Learning
- Experience with large data datasets
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Note: We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, please apply to each one individually.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.